Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Don't Talk to Strangers.....

Sometimes I feel like (even thought my kids are little) the things I say go in one ear and out the other.  Welcome to motherhood you say!  As most of you know, my kids are anything but shy.  Never have been shy, and never will.  Because of this, the kids tend to make friends with anyone- young or old!  Doesn't matter who they are or where they came from.  If they speak, bark, cry, or meow (among other things) they WILL befriend you.

The worst of it started about three months ago.  I had ordered groceries online (yay!) and the only delivery time was between 6-8 am.  I hoped it would be 8.  That morning, Tim left early.  Next thing I knew, Carter was in my room saying that "they" were here.  I assumed he had seen the truck outside.  I said "Where are they?" and he said "They are by daddy's backpack in the living room."  Hmm....that's weird.  So I throw on my bathrobe and head out to the living room.  And there they were.....all the groceries.  And there SHE was.  The grocery lady.  Standing there in my living room.  She says "Oh, he's so sweet!"  Yup.  Carter had opened the door and let her in.  She had unloaded all the groceries.  And all the while, she never wondered where the mom was, or didn't think it was strange a three year old was all alone?!  I was horrified!  It was then I attempted the "stranger talk" with Carter.  Unfortunately, we've had a few since, and they don't seem to be helping. 

So for the past couple of weeks we have- for the first time- had a consistent mail lady coming.  We used to be a "pick up route" and whoever made it to deliver the mail- and whenever they delivered it was up to them.  This new lady comes every day at a normal time and she drives the mail truck (which my kids love....the other people always walked). 

Today she happened to come right when we were getting home.  Of course, my kids, not taking any of the "stranger" talks I have taught them to mind, went right to her and started talking.  She was very sweet, thankfully. 

Here is what went down:  She now knows the kids names, ages, and birthdays.  Carter invited her to his Chitty Chitty birthday party and then proceeded to tell me that if he invited her, she would say "Thank you-that is very sweet, Carter."  She will be back tomorrow, her name is Mary, and she's no longer a stranger.  This is everything that went on between her and my kids.  Guess they don't even need me! 

Let's just hope they both keep their friendly personalities and I'll keep relying on the Lord to watch over them and keep them safe!!

In other news, today Carter kissed me and told me he didn't want me to die......

.....stay tuned for THAT talk.

1 comment:

Amy said...

My little brother was the same way at the same age of Carter!! ;)