Monday, April 5, 2010

They are Precious in His Sight.....And He In Theirs


Easter Sunday was such a wonderful day!  The weather was gorgeous, the service was amazing, and time with friends was treasured.  The kids were very excited about Easter this year- especially Carter.  This year is different than the years past.  He is getting old enough to truly understand Easter and why we celebrate it.  We did the Resurrection Eggs, as I had mentioned before, and we tried to read a different Easter book in the couple of weeks leading up to it- some just for fun (Easter Bunny!) and some more serious.  His heart is so precious and lately he has really been grasping who God is and what Jesus did for us.  Easter was no exception- he woke up and I said "He has risen!" and Carter responded "He has risen indeed!"  All day he was very excited about this. 

What I really wanted to share is something Carter did.  Usually he goes to Sunday School while Tim and I attend the service.  I thought it might be  nice to be together in the service for Easter, so I asked Carter if he wanted to come in with us.  He was quite excited at the prospect of coming to "our class" with us, as he calls it.  He was such a good boy and he stood with us as we sang some awesome songs of Christ's resurrection.  When it came time for the teaching (sermon), Carter sat nicely drawing in a notebook I had brought in for him.  All of a sudden, Carter taps me on the leg and whispers (loudly, as a three year old would) "I drew a picture of Jesus."  I looked down, not expecting to see much, but what I found brought tears to my eyes.  Carter had drawn Jesus (belly button and all) with thorns on his head and crosses on his hands (so sweet).  We talked about Jesus dying in great detail this year- so this is Carter's impression of what Christ did for HIM and for all of us.  When we talked about the story, it made Carter sad that Jesus had to wear the crown of thorns and that it hurt him.  It was so precious to me that he understands what he does at such a young age.  This drawing will be so dear to me at he gets older.  I hope I always have a child-like faith as Carter does.


After this, Carter continued his drawing and this time made it clear that he wanted to draw the tomb.  He began, and when he was almost finished, he asked Tim (again, in a very loud whisper) to help him draw an angel.  I again thought it was so sweet that he understood the story so well and that he was excited that Jesus was not there- that He had risen!!  My favorite part is that when his drawing was finished, he leaned over to me and asked me how to spell "He is Risen"......and after telling him letter by letter, he wrote it out and completed his drawing of the tomb (stone and all).  May Carter's drawings speak loudly- and may he always have the courage and the excitement to share his faith with others! 

Happy Easter everyone- He Is Risen!!

No comments: